Recently, my son John, was accepted into the U.S. Marines. After his graduation from Embry Riddle, he set out a course to be the best pilot he can be. As a commercially rated pilot, he’s an instructor at the local airport. This is great for him but it pales in comparison to the transformation that will take place after his time in the Marines.
What I love about the Marines is their belief in principles and leadership.
Here are ten examples of Principles in Leadership according to Sith Sigma:
1. Know yourself and seek self improvement.
2. Be technically proficient.
3. Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
4. Make sound and timely decisions.
5. Set the example.
6. Know your people and look out for their well-being.
7. Keep your people informed.
8. Develop a sense of accountability, ownership, and responsibility in your people.
9. Ensure that tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
10. Train your people as a team.
These are also great leadership qualities that extend into the workplace.